The Potchefstroom Campus of the North-West University, formerly known as the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education (PU for CHE), grew out of the Theological School of the Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika (Reformed Churches in South Africa).
Hence the founding of the Theological School in 1869 also marks the birth of the former PU for CHE. The special relationship that existed between the Theological School and the PU for CHE – two independent institutions – is continued in the relationship between the Theological School and the North-West University (NWU).
The Faculty of Theology was officially founded in 1930 as a faculty of the former PU for CHE and remains one of the faculties of the newly formed North-West University. There is a close kinship relation between the Theological School of the Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika (GKSA) and the Faculty of Theology of the NWU. Most of the Faculty staff are also staff members of the Theological School. The relationship between the University's Faculty of Theology and the Theological School of the GKSA is described in the formal agreement between the two institutions. In addition, the Faculty of Theology has concluded agreements with several other theological institutions, both nationally and internationally, which have sought accreditation of its academic staff with the Faculty Faculty of Theology, in order to offer the degree of the Faculty of Theology on their campuses.
Updated on 3 May 2010 MJB